Sunday 7 August 2011

Love is what you want

LEGEND
I am the first to accept that Tracey Emin is either a love or hate woman. I for one love her, ever since my first discovery aged 15 when I closely studied her controversial applique blankets. A few weeks ago I visited her exhibition Love is What you Want at the Southbank Hayward Gallery.



Being one of Britain's most celebrated contemporary artists the exhibition was in my opinion a professional and impressive collaboration covering every period of her career, some areas a little more explicit than others. I urge people to prepare themselves if they so choose to venture out and witness the experience themselves. I promise that not one person should feel disappointment. Working on my portfolio for Parsons as we speak (the application procedure officially started August 1st)! Artist influences are crucial so I followed my own pace of thinking along with Tracey's creating my piece 'You Make Me Want To'. A piece inspired by a trace of thoughts which circulated my head a few weekends ago.      















After completing this piece I picked up Emin's My Life in a Column I have struggled to part with it ever since. An illustrated anthology of the artist's popular, personal and run longing columns for The Independent between 2005-2009. Her sense of humor is contagious and mood swings humbling. I am looking forward to another afternoon's great read.


No comments:

Post a Comment