Monday 23 April 2012

The Neighbour Goods Market



I miss South Africa, it seems like just yesterday I was casually strolling the streets of Kalk Bay, brushing my feet in the white sand's of Noordhoek Beach. There is too much to write of my stay there, an occasion though I would like to share. A travel to The Neighbour Goods Market. Found in the Old Biscuit Mill, Woodstock, the drive was something in itself, artists have captured the location and taken there own spring to it...similar I suppose to Banksy's work. The mark there territory, and that I feel they have the freedom to do. I get irritated when things need permission so often nowadays, planning permission, parking permission. Shouldn't we have more freedom?

An 'independent initiative' founded in 2006 by Justin Rhodes and Cameron Munro. The selection is vast, primarily focusing on fresh foods: bakers, patisserie's, fruit and veg (George and I had a delicious spinach and cucumber juice...sounds strange but truly wonderful). The wide range of products also include home and holistic, photography, wood works and clothing. All are from the extended community of Cape Town.
In conjunction with a local recycling organization and the Eco-Lids initiative, the Neighbourgoods Market now features a full-service recycling depot where all market waste is sorted and collected. All traders are encouraged to use a biodegradable packaging products from Green Home, a Cape Town based company specializing in corn-based compost friendly containers.

A beautiful place with beautiful things, here are a few of my favorite snap shots.









No comments:

Post a Comment