Thursday 9 December 2010

BUTTERFLIES by Nick Jeffrey





The AMAZING VOGUE article 




B
U
T
T
E
R
F
L
I
E
S






About a year ago I read through my monthly VOGUE and stumbled upon this artist Nick Jeffires. I love many things about my glossy mag but one in particular is the way I read it back to front and discover so many creative facts as to what is going on in the world. I have a fascination with butterflies, it started when I was young spending many happy weekends in the lost land of sunny Suffolk's gardens. The butterfly is an out of the ordinary species for many various complicated reasons. Stating the obvious it forms from a catapillar, what I love most is the COLOR we find, the decoration and impecable beauty. The wings are actually transparent. The vivid colors are due to overlapping bright scales. Artists have been capturing butterflies for years with photographs, paints, pencil etc. Alexander McQueen's show in memory of Izzy Blow was totally decked out with butterflies and ohhhh the amount of press and attention he recieved was out of this world! I have become drawn more and more to the young Nick Jeffrey. 



Born in Luanshya, Zambia Jeffrey has created original art forms born out of
a deep fascination with the natural world.  Working with butterflies, insects, 
flowers and fish, Nick celebrates the colors, textures and patterns found in the
fleeting brilliance of nature.

Increasingly well-known for his spectacular butterfly artworks, Nick combines raw

and modern materials such as Perspex, resin and mirrors with real butterflies from
the sustainable farming industry, helping to protect the species with the conservation
of their habitats. This fact I was particularly drawn to, Damien Hirst
an artist who has attracted many's attention, sadly kills his creatures
for the use of his own work, this I honestly find heartbreaking.         

I have been blessed with some of his work in my own home.
Waking up in the morning and looking at it puts a real smile on my face :)




No comments:

Post a Comment